Friday, July 31, 2009

Hammered Clasps

This is a picture of a clasp I made today. It's red brass, but I'm not sure the color can be seen too well. The wire is 14 guage. I tried a new technique with these - I finally used the beautiful mirror finish chasing hammer I bought from Szarka a few weeks ago. You can find one here: http://www.magpiegemstones.com/catalog/item/5307716/5380927.htm

Szarka, this pic is for you, darlin'! Check out the hammering :-) It made the wire a bit more difficult to twist, I had to get out the really big pliers. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

2 comments:

Szarka's said...

Ah but if you twist before you hammer then it is much easier grin. They are beautiful.

Texas Wire Twister said...

Yeah, I was using Sharilyn Miller's technique in the book 'Bead on a Wire'. The twisty on the end was the part that needed the big pliers. Then I made the mistake of hammering out the pretty flair :-( I've made improvements to the next batch of clasps, might post a pic sometime when the camera gets unloaded from robot competition videos.